Miami-Dade officials react to attacks in Paris
By Joey Flechas
In the hours after the deadliest attacks in France since World War II, South Florida officials are reacting to the killings that French President François Hollande has called “an act of war.”
The death toll reached 127 people as of Saturday morning, with 300 others hospitalized, according to the New York Times. The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attacks. CBS News is reporting that the U.S. State Department has confirmed there are Americans among the injured.
Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez called the events in Paris “heartbreaking” in a statement Friday night. County leaders are monitoring the situation in Paris through local and federal authorities.
“Although there is no information at this time that Miami-Dade faces any imminent threat, [Miami-Dade Police Department] is taking prudent measures out of an abundance of caution and continuing to work with our Federal and State partners,” he said. “At this time, all Miami-Dade Police Department officers have been advised to remain on high alert. Additional measures are in place at Miami International Airport and PortMiami.”
U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, of Weston, offered her condolences in a statement Saturday morning and said she will support U.S. efforts to stop ISIS.
“The United States stands firmly by our oldest ally, France during this dark day in history, and I offer my sincere condolences and strong support to President Hollande and Ambassador Araud, with whom I have worked closely over the last year. As information continues to pour in, as a Member of the State and Foreign Operations Appropriations Subcommittee, I will be focused on what increased role Congress can play in supporting President Obama and our allies in stopping ISIS and terrorist networks worldwide and making the long term investments necessary to disrupt terrorism and extreme violence.”
The French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development has set up a hotline for victims’ relatives abroad:
Parishioners at St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church, 7377 SW 64th St., will gather at 1 p.m. Saturday to pray for victims and their families. Prayers will be offered in French.
Two vigils will be held Saturday. At 5 p.m., people will gather at the French Consulate building at 1395 Brickell Ave., and another will organize at 8 p.m. at 401 Lincoln Road in Miami Beach.
People have taken to social media networks worldwide to offer their thoughts and prayers for France. On Friday night, the Miami Tower in downtown was lit up in the red, white and blue of the French flag.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article44884839.html#storylink=cpy